Saturday, February 11, 2012

Count Your Blessings

I've got to tell you, I'm feeling a little blessed right now. Do you realize how much STUFF we have in the US? Our streets are clean, we have clean running water that goes to our house, most of us has our own transportation (whether by car or by bicycle or whatever). Another little blessing I've realized: I don't have a single mosquito bite. The girls I'm rooming with show me their arm that has five big bites that are red and swollen. I guess the mosquito's here don't appreciate my Utah blood. Their loss.

Let's talk about another basic thing that we take for granted. Speaking English. How many here realize how stinking silly English can be sometimes? I know I didn't used to. I always thought I was pretty good at it. You know, AP English classes. Having English be the highest score on my ACT. Whatever. I am living with Germans and most of the time we understand each other. I being the native English speaker, naturally they ask me all kinds of English questions that they've never been able to understand. For instance; what's the difference between either and neither. Sounds simple no? NO. Trying to explain it to them was making me question how to use it. Finally I resorted to, "No, you can't use it in that sentence. Why?... Because it sounds wrong okay?!" More and more of our discussions are ending this way. I can feel my English skills depleting.

Okay I think it's time that I try to add some pictures. I don't know how they'll look, but here it goes. The first one is of the compound I'm living in now. It's an organization called AbrahamKriel. They house children who are either orphans or who's families can't keep them anymore.


This is Innocence. If I remember right I told you a little about him in my previous blog. He has kind of stolen my heart. No big deal.

This is Sebuseso and Seyabonga. They're twin brothers and they can be quite a handful!

This is me with some of the German volunteers having a Salad. And some toast. :)
Till next time!

2 comments:

  1. YOU ARE SUCH A LUCKY DUCK!!!!!!! I think Innocence looks like Jaxon. Mom disagrees. Their hare is curly and their faces look similar. The major difference is that Innocence has darker skin. Oh well. I miss you!!! Love you!
    Love,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't count all my blessings because I can't see you.

    ReplyDelete